The Valencia Tunic



Hi! Today I am showing you the Valencia tunic, a pattern by Mouse House Creations for Willow and Co. as part of their SS2015 tour! When I was contacted to join this tour I was leaning towards the Aberdeen jacket - another pattern from this collection - but my Spring/Summer wardrobe is in a great need of tops/tunics/blouses so that is all I am sewing for myself these days. :) 

I am trying to build a capsule wardrobe for this season but the truth is I started too late, so in a couple of days I will be starting to plan my Fall/Winter capsule wardrobe. Do you plan in advanced? Or do you just sew as you go? 




Pattern: the Valencia Women's Tunic, pattern by Mouse House Creations for Willow and Co.  

Fabric: A silk voile, super thin and soft and with the perfect drape. I love that it has both stripes and flowers :), I find it very pretty but... it was a bit difficult to work with. I am used to work with rayon challis which is very flimsy, but silk is another whole level!... I think this was the second time using it and oh well, I guess I need to use it again, and again, until I master this beast. :) 

Details:
This is an intermediate pattern, mainly because of the yoke, which represents a good challenge due to its shape. Needless to say that I enjoyed sewing this - I love challenges, you know me.

This pattern comes in sizes XS to XXXL and is a flattering style that will suit most body types. It features a front and back yoke, with some gathering on the bodice. The yoke was lined in my case, but you can make unlined - the instructions cover both options. 
This tunic features a mandarin collar that I have opted not to make (mere laziness). I used a bias facing instead, topstitched on the outside to make it look like a fake collar. 
It is a sleeveless tunic and although I don't use sleeveless tops much (or almost never) I really like this one. 


I have used some vintage buttons from my stash. I always have a hard time using these buttons that belonged to my granny sewing stash, but force myself to use them. I think she would be so proud of my sewing now... She taught me some sewing basics when I was a child but by the time I actually started to sew for real - a few years ago - she was suffering from dementia already and I wasn't able to grab all her knowledge of a life as a dressmaker!...



This pattern was released recently as part of the Spring/Summer'15 pattern collection of Willow and Co., and if you haven't already please take a look at their lookbook

The other patterns from this collection are: the limon dress and top (which I have tested and blogged here, and is being worn today as we speak! :) ), the Antalya dress (which I also tested and blogged here), the London Backpack (which I am eager to make!), and the Aberdeen Jacket for women, which I will be making soon as part of my Fall wardrobe. But for now you can marvel yourself on a leather version from my amazing sewing/blogging friend Andreia over In a Matter of Sewing blog. I love this lady. She is clearly one of my sewing soul mates. :) 

Also blogging today as part of this tour is Maria from My Cosy Co, showing another Valencia tunic and an Aberdeen jacket, and Chelise from Chelise Patterson, showcasing an Antalya top and a London backpack. Have a look and be inspired!






Happy sewing!



Project linked to:

link party 200px
    Sew + Show @ StraightGrain

8 comments

  1. Tao gira! Adoro o tecido que escolheste.... fica mesmo bem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear dear Sara, don't make me get emotional as I suffer from post child high hormone level 😁 Really my friend, we need to meet soon! As for your blouse, love to see you smile in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda... e esses botões são mesmo especiais! Fica-te muito bem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Sara!! Thanks so much for being a part of the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so lovely, Sara! The top is very pretty on you! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blouse was worth the fight with the fabric! It looks gorgeous on you. You still have a fair bit of time to sew for summer and enjoy your hand made wardrobe, don't you? I sewed a few things for last summer and was so happy wearing them! Now I am thinking about sewing for spring but am a bit hesitant as a) I never wrote down my pre-pregnancy measurements and of course don;t remember them, and b) there is no guarantee I would fit into clothes made to my pre-pregnancy measurements anyway haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I miss this? What a beautiful blouse!! I love it so much much. It looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you soon!